What Does Your Italian Heritage Mean to You?
Each of us might answer that question a little differently. For some, our Italian-American heritage is expressed in the way we cook traditional holiday meals, celebrate religious traditions, or relate to family and friends. Some speak Italian and travel to Italy regularly, others were raised in traditional Italian neighborhoods. Most share in the beauty of Italy's countless contributions to music and the arts.
However we express pride in our heritage, as immigrants to the United States or descendents of Italian immigrants, we are part of an enduring, strong and colorful community - Italian America.
The Order Sons of Italy in America (OSIA) was founded in New York City on June 22, 1905, by Dr. Vincenzo Sellaro and five other Italian immigrants. It is the first, largest, and most demographically diverse membership organization representing Italian-American men and women throughout the United States.
Since OSIA's beginning, men and women have shared equal status within OSIA, as do individuals of all professions and ages.
OSIA, through its 750 lodges, and its two subsidiary entities, the Sons of Italy Foundation (SIF) and the Commission for Social Justice (CSJ) work to preserve and promote the cultural heritage of Americans of Italian descent.
Through OSIA's philanthropic and social undertakings, we represent the interests of Italian Americans young and old, as well as professionals in all fields of endeavor. In cooperation with the United States and Italian governments, OSIA seeks to strengthen trade, business, political, and educational opportunities.
OSIA has contributed to strengthening and preserving Italian American culture and heritage for more than 95 years.
Now, you too, can be a part of OSIA by becoming a member. We hope you will join us as we work for a better tomorrow - just as our ancestors came to this country, looking for a better life for us.
Benefits of Your Membership
OSIA provides Italians and their families with unique opportunities and benefits:
- A subscription to IL LEONE, our monthly newspaper, and all OSIA publications, including Italian America, our national membership magazine
- Scholarship and educational opportunities at local, state, and national levels
- Information regarding the National Leadership Grant Competition, Washington Internship Program, and National Mentor program
- Opportunities to join OSIA's influential voice in domestic and international affairs
- Participation in local and national networks of influential Italians and Italian Americans
- Invitations to all major Grand Lodge of California events, OSIA, SIF, and CSJ events, including the annual National Education and Leadership Awards (NELA) Gala and OSIA's biennial national conventions.
- Discount hotel, car rental, and travel programs.
- Participation in Italian and Italian American cultural events through lectures, films, book discussion groups, Italian language courses, issue summits and folk-life programs.
- An outlet for volunteer energies and professional expertise to assist the Italian-American community in your area
- Involvement with Local and State chapters.